Jan 14, 2010

A New Year: A New (Enviable) You


I Love Your Style was a great holiday gift given by a dear friend who knows how much I adore all conversations related to fashion. But how many of these books do we really need? Em, I would say--just this one. Once I flipped through the nearly-coffee table size book, I instantly got the fashion butterflies that make me want to run to my closet and do a Tim Gunn purge.

Street, classic, bohemian, minimal, eclectic, high fashion, or a clever combination or any two...when I see someone who has mastered their personal style and evokes such a sense of ease in their skin--I, one, can't stop staring with a mix of awe, admiration and respect, but then I instantly want to know--who is this intriguing person?!?!

Far from a prescriptive "must-do" "must-have" point of view attributed to many other style guides, Amanda Brooks, fashion stylist and journalist, breaks down the elements of each style plus how that style has evolved over time, so you can truly understand the nuances between a bohemian and an eclectic look. And once you know the ingredients, you can mix and match to create a look that is entirely your own, whether it's a vintage minimalist or a bohemian street.






My absolute favorite is and may always be Scott Schuman, otherwise known as The Sartorialist. This year he came out with his first collection of his favorite fashion seen on the streets. He has reinvented fashion photography.

To be truly inspired by creative individuals from all over the world, I highly recommend you grab his book, sit with a glass of wine in a cozy chair and take notes. But most of all...enjoy.

C.G

No comments: